Search Collection
How to use the database
Basic search
Function search
Agency search
Series search
Item search
Browse agencies
Tasmanian Names Index
Need help? Ask us!

Agency Details

Agency Number: NG2392
Title: PACIFIC LODGE (NO. 5 T.C.)
Start Date: 13 Jun 1860
End Date:
Description:

Pacific Lodge began on the 13th of June 1860 under dispensation from the Grand Lodge of England. The Lodge was sponsored by Tasmanian Union Lodge (No. 781 E.C.) and met at Bastian's Hotel 'Bird in the Hand' in Argyle Street. The Lodge was No. 1103 on the English register. The Lodge received its warrant on the 28th of March 1861. It held an installation ceremony on the 25th of April, which was attended by members of Tasmanian Union Lodge and Tasmanian Operative Lodge (No. 346 I.C.). In October 1863 Lodges under the English Constitution were re-numbered, making Pacific Lodge number 801 on the English register.

In October 1871 the Lodge moved to the Freemasons Hall in Collins Street. Lodge members attended the laying of the foundation stone by the Governor Charles Du Cane for the new Lodge in 1873. On the 26th of August the Lodge held its first meeting at the new hall in Murray Street. In 1874 the Lodge petitioned for a new Lodge at Sorrell. A warrant was sent for a Lodge named Pembroke (named after the district). The Lodge at Sorrell never went ahead but the warrant and name ended up being used by Lodge Pembroke (No. 1517 E.C.) who met at Lefroy in the Georgetown District.

In 1876 Bro. Hammond from Pacific Lodge became the first District Grand Master of the newly formed District Grand lodge of England followed by Bro. Poulett-Harris in 1881. In 1880 the Lodge joined as subscribers to the Lodge of Instruction. In 1887 the Lodge recommended the establishment of a new Lodge at Wynyard named 'Poulett' (No. 2204 E.C) after the District Grand Master. In July 1890 the Lodge held its first meeting under the constitution of the newly formed Grand Lodge of Tasmania becoming No. 5 on the register.

In 1921 Pacific Lodge sponsored a new Lodge, Pacific Lewis (No. 38 T.C).

Pacific Lodge had its first meeting in the new Masonic temple in Harrington Street on the 19th of January 1939. During WWII the Lodge continued to send notice papers to members serving in the forces. After the war, the Lodge helped supply food parcels to Britain.

On the 16th of October 1997 Pacific Lodge consolidated with Victory Lodge (No. 34 T.C.). The Lodge operated under the name, by-laws and warrant of the Pacific Lodge. All notice papers and correspondence were to be headed the Pacific Lodge No. 5 T.C. incorporating the Victory Lodge (No 34 T.C.). Life members, honorary members and Past Masters of the Victory Lodge were to retain their status. All assets and property of the Victory Lodge became the property of Pacific Lodge.

Information Sources:

History of Pacific Lodge while on the register of the United Grand Lodge of England 1860-1890. Written and read by Henry L Emden on the occasion of Pacific Lodge joining the register of the newly formed Grand Lodge of Tasmania.

A Brief History of the Pacific Lodge (NO.5 T.C.) 1860-1960. Revised and Written by Wor. Bro. E.J.E. McLagyn P.G.S.

Minutes of the regular meetings of Pacific Lodge, Volume 16 1993-1998.

Legislation Administered:

Legislation Creating:

Legislation Abolishing Agency:

Functions Performed:
36 FRIENDLY SOCIETIES
Controlling Agencies:
NG2033 GRAND LODGE OF TASMANIA 25 Jun 1890
Series Created By Agency:
NS2699  MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETINGS 13 Jun 1860 28 Mar 1998
NS2698  ATTENDANCE REGISTERS 19 Apr 1906 18 Aug 1949
NS2700  MINUTES OF THE COMMITTEE OF MANAGEMENT 05 May 1915 11 Jul 2000
NS2701  MINUTES OF THE SOCIAL AND WELFARE ASSOCIATION 12 Mar 1956 02 May 2002