Search Collection
Basic search
Function search
Agency search
Series search
Item search
Browse agencies
Tasmanian Names Index
Need help? Ask us!

Agency Details

Agency Number: NG2835
Title: HARRY VINCENT GLENGYLE TURNER
Start Date: 01 Jan 1900
End Date: 29 Aug 1976
Description:

Harry Vincent Glengyle (Glen) Turner was born in London in 1900, the only child of Mr and Mrs Harry Turner. The family came to Tasmania when Glen was nine. In February 1922 the Turners purchased 100 acres at what was then known as Leith, on the western side of the Forth River. Their home "The Gables", part of which was built about 1850, was formerly "The Sailor's Return Inn". The township of Turners Beach was developed by and named in honour of H V G Turner on 21 March 1961.

He was active in the community and was involved with the Ulverstone Council and Town Planning Committee, the Rural Fire Brigade, Eliza Purton Home, National Trust, Turners Beach Methodist Church, Youth Camp Committee, and was a Justice of the Peace.

H V G Turner married Berris May Boon on 27 November 1926. They had one son Harry Basil Turner. H V G Turner died aged 75 on 29 August 1976. His wife died in December 1982.

Information Sources:

Launceston Library newscutting file on 'Turners Beach', including obituary from 'The Advocate' 28 September 1976.

Legislation Administered:

Legislation Creating:

Legislation Abolishing Agency:

Functions Performed:
34 FAMILY ARCHIVES
39 RELIGION
Related Agencies:
NG499 METHODIST CHURCH IN TASMANIA 01 Jan 1820 31 Dec 1977
Series Created By Agency:
LMSS364  RECORDS OF TURNERS BEACH METHODIST YOUTH CAMP 28 Dec 1953 02 Dec 1974
LMSS365  TURNERS BEACH METHODIST CHURCH 12 Apr 1958 01 Dec 1974