Search Collection
Basic search
Function search
Agency search
Series search
Item search
Browse agencies
Tasmanian Names Index
Need help? Ask us!

Agency Details

Agency Number: NG2919
Title: THOMAS POLLARD SAMPSON & FAMILY
Start Date: 24 Jun 1875
End Date: 25 Jun 1961
Description:

Thomas Pollard Sampson was the eldest child of Richard Sampson and Caroline nee Pollard. He was named for his paternal grandfather who had brought the family from England where he had been teaching in Yorkshire. Richard began in business working in the drapery establishment of Mrs Dunning in Brisbane Street. He then joined the firm of McKay and Martin which later became the well known firm of McKay, Sampson and McKinlay. He retired in 1913. A staunch supporter of the Paterson Street Methodist Church he died suddenly on 15 March 1917 at his residence 'Dilkusha', Lyttleton Street leaving his wife and four sons and three daughters to mourn his loss.

In 1891 Thomas was a pupil of A E Luttrell, architect, of Cameron Street, Launceston. Thomas exhibited an architectural drawing of a design for a villa residence in the International Exhibition. He had been an apprentice for six months. He was also a keen photographer and took many interesting photographs of Launceston. Thomas moved to Sydney where he practised as an architect for many years. He designed a number of houses that are now heritage listed, including 'Kama' at 16 Llandilo Avenue, Strathfield, and 'Romahapa' at 22-24 Martin Road, Centennial Park. Sampson was a member of the Concord Golf Club and in 1921 designed the clubhouse. He returned to Tasmania every year to visit his family and spend time at the family holiday home at Low Head.

Thomas married Clarice Henderson on 17 Feb 1911 at St Philips, Church Hill, Sydney. He died on 25 Jun 1961 at the Scottish Hospital, Paddington, NSW.

Information Sources:

Launceston Family Album.

Legislation Administered:

Legislation Creating:

Legislation Abolishing Agency:

Functions Performed:
34 FAMILY ARCHIVES
Series Created By Agency: