Toosey Memorial Hospital was constituted a public hospital on 10 May 1950 to serve the Longford municipality. Prior to this the hospital had operated on a private basis since the mid-1920's.
Nevertheless, it should be noted that in 1946 the Trustees of the hospital had applied successfully for an exemption from a private hospital license under section 54 of the Hospital Act 1918 in order to be eligible for Commonwealth financial assistance.
Under an Order in Council on 19th June 1990 the management of public health in the Longford district became part of the Launceston region and its corresponding Board. With this change Toosey Hospital was to move from being an acute care facility to residential aged care.