Following a poll of ratepayers the Clarence Municipal Council was replaced by this Commission on 1 Jul 1957. Charles Henry Hand C.B.E. (Chairman), R.N.B. Richard and J.W. Miley were appointed as a Commission to take charge of the Municipality of Clarence and exercise the powers and functions of the Municipal Council. They first met on that date and, although their official title did not change, from 2 March 1961 they sat as the Council. A poll of ratepayers on 7 March 1973 produced a majority in favour of a return to an elected council. At an election on 16 June three Councillors were returned for each of the four wards. The poll was declared on 2 July and the Commission sat as the Council for the last time on 6 July, their Commission terminating on the tenth.