Section 9 of the Hospitals Act 1918 defined the District as the City of Launceston and charged the Board with the management of the Launceston General Hospital. The District was reconstituted on 25 June 1968 by adding the municipalities of Deloraine, Evandale, George Town, Westbury, Lilydale and St Leonards. At the same time the department transferred control of the former Perth Chest Hospital and the Deloraine, Westbury, George Town and mole Creek District Nursing Centres to the Board (SR1968/97). Flinders Island, and its hospital, were added to Launceston on 3 June 1987 (SR1987/123 also removed Lilydale and St Leonards as these municipalities had been absorbed by the City). On 6 August the Queen Victoria Hospital came under the control of the Board (SR1987/157). As an interim step in the re-organisation of the State's health services the Public Hospitals Districts were amalgamated into three regional bodies. On 19 June 1990 Beaconsfield, Scottsdale/Ringarooma, Longford, St Helens, St Marys and Campbell Town/Ross Districts were added to the Launceston District (SR1990/98).