On November 6th 1926 a meeting was held and a committee formed of concerned parents with a view to establishing a private school the following year in the Moriarty district. The school was opened on January 25th 1927 in a local hall until a school room could be built. The committee applied to the Education Department for assistance in meeting the first teacher's salary, a Mrs Hodgeman. In March 1927 the committee again approached the Department to purchase part of the old Latrobe School and for it to be relocated to Moriarty. The Government accepted the committee's offer and formally took over the running of the school on February 6th 1928. The arrangements included the Department meeting the teacher's salary - now a Mr WA Munro, purchasing the land and fitting out the new school. The new Moriarty State School was officially opened on March 20th 1928 by the Premier Hon JA Lyons.
The School became known as Moriarty Primary School in the early 1960's.