Victims Support Services is part of the Department of Justice and began operation on 1 July 2001. The Unit is dedicated to victims of crime.
It is responsible for:
- the administration of the Victims Register and the provision of information to victims from that Register
- liaison between the victim and other divisions of the Department of Justice
operation and management of the Victims of Crime Service
- provision of information to victims regarding court processes
- the provision of the Court Support and Liaison Service for victims of family violence
- co-ordination of Victim/Offender Mediation in a certain cases
- administration of Victims of Crime Assistance (financial assistance for victims of crime) and the provision of assistance to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Commissioners.